Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Great Sticky Velcro Debacle

Now where do I begin?
I know 3 days, 4 different machines, all sorts of settings,
needles and advise from around the world.
What was I trying to do?
Sew sticky backed velcro to leaders for my quilting frame, a la, as per this Sharon Schambers You Tube clip.

The part I was getting STUCK ON is about 3 to 4 minutes in. Doesn't she make it look so easy. I had 1040 inches of stitching to sew on this velcro and I couldn't get past 4 inches before getting stuck! This velcro cost a pretty penny at the time and I didn't want to see it wasted, so I tried to have a win.

Now I was working on this 12 months ago when I had the phone call to say that MIL and partner had been swept down a flooded river in their car. (They survived the adventure) This project was then put away and not looked at again. Of course that means the frame has not been used either. I didn't realize until a couple of days ago that the day I decided to pick this up and get it done was the same day, to the date, that we got the call about the accident. I found that a bit spinney when I realized. How could it be?
Anyway in the end I seceded.

I don't know if it was the most horrendous case of unrelenting hay fever I had this last day or just plain old common sense that prevailed. But I new when I had been whipped and took a new course. My new plan was to just stick this stuff on, get as much use out of it as I can, before it lifts off, and just replace it with the normal stuff as need be, if I even like this way of doing things.
So the decision being made, this was a sight for sore eyes.
 My leaders are now on the frame waiting for me to pluck up the courage to use them. Tee Hee!

4 comments:

  1. But why did you need the velcro. Although I don't machine quilt I thought people just pinned things to it? Congratualtions on a job out of the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. it all seems Chinese to me.... but I am waiting for great things to happen. Congratulations on perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Wanda on the realization that sometimes things just don't work! I hope you get something pinned on those leaders and start quilting away. I'm very new to all this as well. I have a Grace Pinnacle with the EZ-Fast I think it's called. It was mind-boggling to me, but seems to be working okay. Good Luck and keep us posted on the "list"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well what a sticky mess, and I bet you hadn't had enough of that red either! More makes it easier you know!! lol

    love the non-shaggy doggie story.. poor baby Mia..

    ReplyDelete